The Carolina Panthers dynamic quarterback will not be suiting up this Thursday when the Panthers invade Heinz Field in the final preseason game of the 2014 season.
Newton is suffering from a hairline fracture in his rib, and head coach Ron Rivera will rest his quarterback in hopes of him healing before the first week of the regular season.
Newton most likely wouldn't have played too much in the final preseason game regardless, but if the Pittsburgh Steelers decide to play their starting defense for any duration of time Thursday night, they will do so against second string quarterback, Derek Anderson.
After a sub par performance against the Philadelphia Eagles, fans should expect to see some starters play in the first quarter before jettisoning them from the field and giving way to the reserves who are trying to make a lasting impression on the coaching staff and making the 53-man roster.
The final preseason game will be this Thursday, August 28th at Heinz Field, game time 7:30 p.m. ET.
More from sbnation.com:
- Steelers 53-man roster prediction: Loss to Eagles shows a few areas of concern
- Sean Spence will not need surgery for injured knee
- Brett Keisel isn't coming back to coach
- Panthers vs. Steelers: Pittsburgh will face Cam Newton and Carolina's offensive starters
- It goes much deeper than suspensions for Steelers William Gay
- FEATURE STORY: Doubt has been a way of life for Steelers Dayonne Nunley
- Snoop Dogg goes off on Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley
- Mike Tomlin should stray from normal protocol in 4th preseason game
- Let's trust Tomlin and the Steelers to make the right decision
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- Carolina Panthers
- Heinz Field