Piszczek, Subotic, Santana, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
Mujdza, Ginter, Fallou, Sorg
Schmid, Schuster, Flum, Galigiuri
Borussia Dortmund may be through to the quarterfinal stage of the Champions League, but the club has effectively been dethroned as German champion and is now in a two-way battle for second place with Bayer Leverkusen, which hosts leader Bayern Munich in one of Saturday’s late kickoffs.
Although Dortmund has not lost to Freiburg since 2010, chances of a sixth straight victory over the Bundesliga’s eighth-place side will be hampered by the absence of defender Mats Hummels, who was withdrawn at the break during last weekend’s derby loss to Schalke with an ankle injury. He will be replaced by the Brazilian Felipe Santana, who has started just 13 matches in all competitions this season.
Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp is also likely to be without captain - and former Freiburg player - Sebastian Kehl, as the central midfielder battles niggling injuries.
Freiburg, which is winless in its past three Bundesliga matches but through to the semifinals of the DFB Pokal, will be without central midfielder Cedric Makiadi due to a knee injury as well as striker Sebastian Freis, who continues to recover following shoulder surgery.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund won the Bundesliga by eight points last season and seven points in 2011-12. It is currently 20 points adrift of current leader Bayern Munich.
- Dortmund captain Sebastian Kehl played parts of two seasons for Freiburg more than 10 years ago, contributing eight goals.
- Dortmund has won just two of its last five Bundesliga matches and has kept only one clean sheet in its last six outings.
- Freiburg is on course for its best finish in the Bundesliga since 2000-01, when it came in fourth. It have since been relegated twice and earned its most recent promotion in 2008-09.
- Hamburg is the only top-10 side to have managed fewer than Freiburg’s 32 goals from 25 matches so far this season.
- Freiburg’s Under-19 side has won four of the last seven titles in that age category, including the previous two.
- Sports & Recreation
- BORUSSIA DORTMUND
- Bayern Munich