As a disclaimer, the system FIFA uses to make these rankings is flawed to the point of irrelevancy.
It does show us some general trends though:
- Some European giants were the biggest losers. Spain went from 1st to 8th, Portugal went from 4th to 11th, England went from 10th to 20th. Italy, Russia, and Switzerland also fell at least three spots.
- Since it was the World Cup of CONCACAF, it's no surprise to see three North/Central American teams in the top 18 (U.S., Costa Rica, Mexico).
- The U.S. fell two spots after making it to the Round of 16. Bosnia and Herzegovina climbed two spots after getting eliminated in the group stage. FIFA rankings are funny like that.
The top-25 (via FIFA.com):
More From Business Insider
- Germany Misses Point-Blank Header, Comes Painfully Close To Taking The Lead In The World Cup Final
- The 10 Most Embarrassing Moments Of The World Cup
- Lionel Messi's First Team Let Him Leave Because They Didn't Want To Pay For His $1,500 Growth Defect Medicine
- Sports & Recreation
- FIFA rankings