According to SB Nation's Giants blog Big Blue View, McManus lost a placekicking competition last year with the Indianapolis Colts to Adam Vinatieri. This year he lost the competition to Giants kicker Josh Brown.
"I think Brandon will kick in this league," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Tuesday (via ESPN). "He's a very powerful young man. Needs a little bit of work on the finer kicks, but certainly he demonstrated his ability to kick it through the back of the end zone."
Said the Giants' Brown: "It's never fun. He was upset, and it just as easily could have been the other way. He's one of those guys, he's going to be a lifer. He's going to be a 10-year guy. He's got that kind of talent, and he's got that kind of head on his shoulders."
A four-week replacement for Prater or a permanent one? We'll just have to wait and see.
More from sbnation.com:
- Nate Irving to be used as a 3-down MLB
- Horse Tracks: Breaking Bad at Mile High
- Broncos roster cuts: Broncos trim roster to 75
- Can kicker Mitch Ewald be the Next Man Up for the Broncos?
- Denver Broncos roundup: Matt Prater, Wes Welker and Cut Day
- Is Peyton Manning responsible for Wes Welker's concussions?
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- Matt Prater
- Adam Schefter
- Adam Vinatieri