COMMENTARY | UFC on FX 8 turned out to be a much better fight card than it seemed on paper. Some fighters used the opportunity to propel themselves up the rankings, while others weren't so fortunate.
Here are the biggest winners and losers from the UFC on FX 8 fight card:
1. Vitor BelfortThe "Old Lion" looked awesome once again, finishing Luke Rockhold with a highlight reel worthy spinning-back kick -- which earned him the Knockout of the Night award -- during the first round of their encounter. That's two consecutive fights he's finished with spectacular kicks. Not bad for a guy whose striking arsenal consisted of primarily punches a few years ago.
With his win against Rockhold at UFC on FX 8, Belfort has solidified is status as the best middleweight in the UFC not named Anderson Silva.
2. Ronaldo "Jacare" SouzaJacare had a lot hype coming into the UFC, thanks to his days dominating Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournaments and Strikeforce's middleweight ranks. He lived up to the high expectations at UFC on FX 8, running right through Chris Camozzi. The performance earned him the Submission of the Night award and an extra $50,000.
3. Lucas Martins and Jeremy LarsenThese two opened up the UFC on FX 8 fight card, but the Brazilian fans treated it like the main event, roaring from the opening seconds. Both fighters showed their appreciation for the crowd, throwing everything they had at the other until Martin put Larsen away during the final round. The performance earned them the Fight of the Night award, and neither man has to worry about getting a pink slip anytime soon.
1. Luke RockholdRockhold would have probably been next in line for a shot at the 185 pound division's belt if he emerged victorious at UFC on FX 8, but he's now just another middleweight. Luke is talented enough to fight his way back to title contention, but he'll have to start at the back of the line with guys like Michael Bisping, Constantinos Philippou, and Mark Munoz.
2. Anyone who didn't watch UFC on FX 8 because of its lack of star power
More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:
- Martial Arts
- Sports & Recreation
- Luke Rockhold