Oct 30 (Reuters) - Profile of the Boston Red Sox, who won Major League Baseball's World Series on Wednesday.
Manager: John Farrell
Stadium: Fenway Park
World Series titles: 8 (1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004, 2007, 2013)
2013 regular season record: 97-65
Most regular season home runs: David Ortiz (30)
Most regular season wins by a pitcher: Jon Lester (15)
How they won the World Series: Won American League East Division; beat the Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 in the Divisional Series; beat the Detroit Tigers 4-2 in the League Championship Series; beat the St. Louis Cardinals 4-2 in the World Series.
* The Boston Red Sox were a founding member of the American League in 1901 and won the inaugural World Series in 1903.
* Originally known as the Red Stockings, they changed their name to the Red Sox in 1908.
* They have been based at Fenway Park since 1912, making it the oldest stadium in Major League Baseball.
* The Red Sox won the World Series four times between 1912 and 1918 before entering one of the longest droughts in the sport, which became known as the Curse of the Bambino, after they traded Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees.
* While the Yankees, their greatest rivals, went on an unprecedented run of success, winning the World Series a record 27 times between 1923 and 2009, the Red Sox had to wait 86 years for their next title.
* They broke the drought in 2004, coming from 3-0 behind to beat the Yankees in the best-of-seven League Championship Series, then sweeping the Cardinals in the World Series.
* The Red Sox won another World Series in 2007, their seventh overall, before another few lean years.
* In 2012, the Red Sox finished last in the AL East division with a record of 69 wins and 93 losses, their worst season since 1965, when they lost 100 games.
* 2013 marked the first time the Red Sox had clinched a World Series at Fenway Park since 1918.
* Their eighth title moved the Red Sox into outright fourth place on the list of most wins, behind the New York Yankees (27), St. Louis Cardinals (11) and Oakland Athletics (9). (Compiled by Julian Linden; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Sports & Recreation
- Boston Red Sox
- Major League Baseball
- World Series