Barcelona has confirmed that Victor Valdes underwent successful surgery on his knee and will be out of action for an estimated seven months.
The goalkeeper went under the knife Monday after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee early in the 3-0 win over Celta last week.
"Valdes has been operated on by doctors Ulrich Boenisch and Ricard Pruna in Augsburg for the ACL tear he suffered last week," the club said in a statement on its website. "The knee’s internal cartilage has been sewn up and the operation was concluded successfully."
Valdes' injury, which rules him out of the World Cup in the summer, has left Gerardo Martino's men with Jose Pinto between the sticks as they enter the 2013-14 stretch run.
The Catalans sit second by a point behind Atletico Madrid in La Liga, and they will face Diego Simeone's men in the Champions League quarterfinals — with the first leg at Camp Nou on Tuesday — and have a Copa del Rey final versus Real Madrid to look forward to.
Valdes' intention was to leave Spain upon the expiration of his contract June 30, with Manchester City and Monaco tabbed as potential destinations, though Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu says Valdes could now stay at the club.
- Sports & Recreation