Unlike in the first game, Simeone adopted a more aggresive stance. Atlético's pressure was really intense and it made it really hard for Real Madrid to develop their possessions. Their long balls to Mandzukic and Raúl García always created trouble and were the main source for their attackers, just like in their early goal. Real Madrid's gameplay was quite predictable, and only James was creative enough to break Atlético's defense. In fact, he took part in all of Real Madrid's goal chances in the first half.
In the second half, Ronaldo took Kroos's spot. Obviously, Real Madrid lost control of the ball and their attacks started to get chaotic, though a few chances arrived. Isco and Marcelo entered the field later, substituting Coentrao and James, but neither of them made Real Madrid's game improve.
If you are interested, choose one of the options below and discuss about them in the comments section. Tomorrow, we will pay more attention to the most voted one!
More from sbnation.com:
- Manchester United target will not feature against Atlético
- Atlético de Madrid vs Real Madrid, 2014 Spanish Supercup: Projected Lineups, Match Preview and TV Information
- Real Madrid's midfield need changes to turn the Supercup around
- Carlo Ancelotti: "Di Maria asked to leave Real Madrid"
- Cristiano Ronaldo trains with the squad
- Carlo Ancelotti makes his decision over Real Madrid's goalkeeper
- Sports & Recreation
- Real Madrid
- Atlético de Madrid