COMMENTARY | While the Luis Suárez transfer saga rolls on, another player who has been linked to Arsenal is Brazilian winger Bernard.
The 20-year-old Brazil international impressed at the 2013 Confederations Cup this summer, and he has previously been a target for Liverpool and Tottenham. French newspaper L'Equipe previously reported that Arsenal had a $32.2 million bid accepted by Bernard's current team (Athletico Mineiro), and that the player would be arriving in London for a physical today. However, Gunners boss Arsène Wenger quickly shut down this report by saying, "That report is not true."
Nonetheless, after Athletico Mineiro won the Copa Libertadores on Wednesday night, Bernard reportedly said, "There are offers from English football, Shakhtar and Porto. I'll keep working until the board decides something about the transfer. I don't know what can happen with me, but if I leave, I know I will have done my job."
The talented Brazilian was quick to praise Porto last month, according to the Times.
Bernard's friend and fellow countryman, Hulk, informed him about the Portuguese giants: "When I hear of FC Porto, the first name that comes to mind is Hulk, who triumphed in this club. We focus here on the national team but he often talks to me about this wonderful club. He told me to take my time, but this club is all made to feel at ease."
Bernard mostly plays as a left winger, but he can also play as either an attacking midfielder or on the right wing. The 5-foot-5-inch Brazilian is known for his speed and playmaking ability (as seen here). The Gunners are going to have to put up a very significant bid to trump the other reported four or five teams interested in Bernard. Last December, Russian club Spartak Moscow had a $15 million bid for the youngster turned down by Athletico Mineiro.
Christopher Moore has been following Arsenal Football Club for over 10 years.
- Sports & Recreation