Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has revealed that the club is targeting Paris Saint-Germain boss Carlo Ancelotti as one of "several candidates" to replace the outgoing Jose Mourinho. Follow GOAL.COM on Twitter
The club revealed on Monday that the Mourinho will leave the Santiago Bernabeu this summer and the search for his successor has already begun. Perez confirmed that an approach had been made for Ancelotti - who has expressed his desire to leave Parc des Princes for the Liga giants - but that Les Parisiens are keen to hold on to the Italian.
"I want to express my utmost respect for the PSG and their owner," Perez said in a press conference on Monday, after revealing that Mourinho was set to leave. "A few days ago, the club's director general spoke to PSG to see whether it was possible that he could come and they told us no.
"That is an issue that we will address tomorrow, we have a few days to think about it. There are several candidates [not just Ancelotti]."
PSG sporting director Leonardo resisted any temptation to attack the Blancos for their pursuit of Ancelotti, who led the French club to its first Ligue 1 title in 19 years this season.
"We do want to condemn anyone," Leonardo told French radio station RTL, when asked about Madrid's approach for Ancelotti. "The best way forwards is always to speak [to each other]."
Perez also confirmed that no buyout will be paid to Mourinho upon his exit, with the club and the coach - whom it is believed will return to Chelsea - having agreed to part ways amicably.
"No compensation will be given [to Mourinho] upon his departure from the club," Perez said.
Follow GOAL.COM on Twitter