What's buzzing:

Alves downs Hughes at UFC 85

LONDON – Complete results of UFC 85 from the O2 Arena:

Catchweight (175 lbs): Thiago Alves (21-4) def. Matt Hughes (43-7)
How: TKO at 1:02 of the second round due to a knee to the head.
Key moment: Hughes was slow getting up after a scramble and Alves raced in and blasted him with a knee.
Analysis: Hughes looks like he may be at the end of the line. He wasn't able to do much with Alves, who was in command for most of the fight. Alves stuffed a few takedowns early, and landed a strong knee as well as some ground and pound in the first. In the second, Alves cut Hughes with a kick to the face and then ended the bout with a hard knee to the face.

Middleweights: Michael Bisping (17-1) def. Jason Day (17-6)
How: TKO at 3:42 of the first round due to strikes.
Key moment: Bisping took Day down and got into position to ground and pound.
Analysis: Bisping was as fired up as he ever has been before a fight. He was very animated before the fight and then was very physical in the cage. He took Day down several times and after the last takedown, got in great position and pummeled Day repeatedly until referee Dan Miragliotta was forced to stop it.
Welterweights: Mike Swick (12-2) def. Marcus Davis (19-5)
Judges' scores: All judges had it 29-27 for Swick
Yahoo! Sports score: 29-27 Swick
Key moment: Swick took Davis down and kept him down in the first round, setting the tone for the bout.
Analysis: Instead of the standup war that many expected, the two battled extensively on the ground. Swick's height and long reach seemed to give Davis trouble and didn't allow him to use his hands. Swick landed several good kicks and had the advantage when they were fighting on the ground. Swick was deducted a point in the third round for grabbing the fence.
Middleweights: Thales Leites (13-1) def. Nate Marquardt (29-8-1)
Judges' scores: 28-27 Leites, 28-27 Marquardt, 28-27 Leites
Yahoo! Sports score: 28-27 Leites
Key moment: Marquardt had two points deducted by referee Herb Dean, one for a knee to the head of a downed opponent in Round 2 and one for an elbow to the back of the head in Round 3.
Analysis: The fight featured a pair of Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belts and they had a series of great moves on the ground. Much of the bout was spent in the standup, and Marquardt seemed to get the better of it as it went on. But he didn't have enough offense to overcome the point deductions.
Heavyweights: Fabricio Werdum (11-3-1) def. Brandon Vera (8-2)
How: TKO at 4:40 of the first due to strikes.
Key moment: Werdum managed a takedown with a minute left and got into full mount, allowing him to pound away.
Analysis: Vera didn't seem to be in great trouble, but referee Dan Miragliotta, who was the official in the Kimbo Slice-James Thompson fight last week, jumped in and stopped it. Vera had hurt Werdum earlier with a left and followed with a solid forearm. But Werdum managed to get Vera onto his back and then got mount. From there, he was raining fists on Vera, who seemed to be blocking the majority of them with his arms crossed in front of his face. Vera protested loudly, but Miragliotta had seen enough.
Middleweights: Martin Kampmann (13-1) def. Jorge Rivera (15-7).
How: Submission at 2:44 of the first round due to a guillotine choke.
Key moment: As the fighters were grappling for position on the ground, Kampmann quickly moved from an arm triangle into the guillotine.
Analysis: In his first fight in over a year after undergoing two knee surgeries, Kampmann got the fight to the ground quickly and controlled Rivera most of the way. He was working for submissions and Rivera was unable to get back to his feet, as his corner was urging him to do.
Welterweights: Matt Wiman (10-3) def. Thiago Tavares (17-2).
How: TKO at 1:57 of round 2.
Key moment: Wiman landed a big straight right hand that knocked Tavares down and out.
Analysis: Tavares had a number of good submission attempts in the first round, but Wiman came out firing in the second. He landed a series of shots early that backed Tavares off. Just before the finish, Tavares landed a right that sent Wiman back. Wiman was able to turn things around and land a crushing right on the chin that ended the bout.
Welterweights: Kevin Burns (7-1) def. Roan Carneiro (13-6)
How: Submission at 3:50 of the second with a triangle choke.
Key moment: While on his back, Burns landed a good upkick that allowed him to maneuver into position for the finish.
Analysis: Burns' win was significant, as he submitted a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. Much of the bout was spent with the fighters grappling to no effect. But Burns hurt Carneiro with a series of elbows, cut him on the forehead and then surprisingly was able to work the triangle choke and gain the submission.
Light heavyweights: Luiz Cane (9-1) def. Jason Lambert (23-8)
How: TKO at 2:07 of the first round.
Key moment: Cane landed a hard straight left to the chin early in the first that knocked Lambert down.
Analysis: The bout was essentially a battle of strikes and Cane had the edge on every exchange. Nearly every left that Cane landed hurt Lambert in some way. He was knocked down several times and was so groggy at the end that he grabbed referee Herb Dean by the legs, thinking it was Cane.
Welterweights: Paul Taylor (9-3-1) def. Jess Liaudin (12-10)
How: Unanimous decision
Judges' scores: 29-28 Liaudin, 29-28 Taylor, 29-28 Taylor.
Yahoo! Sports score: 29-28 Taylor
Key moment: Taylor was repeatedly beating Liaudin to the punch in the standup.
Analysis: Taylor wanted to keep the fight standing and scored well when he managed to keep the fight upright. Liaudin wanted to take the fight to the ground and was able to take Taylor down several times in what was a rematch of a 2003 fight in Cage Rage. Liaudin, though, did little when he got Taylor on the ground. The highlight might have been when Liaudin missed a spinning back kick and Taylor connected with a good right.
Heavyweights: Antoni Hardonk (7-4) def. Eddie Sanchez (10-2).
How: TKO at 4:15 of the second round.
Key moment: Hardonk landed a crushing left hook to the jaw that sent Sanchez down defenseless to the canvas. Referee Mario Yamasaki immediately stopped it.
Analysis: Hardonk managed to survive a strong first round from Sanchez, who was scoring almost at will with strikes. Sanchez knocked Hardonk down with the first punch of the fight and was in control until he seemed to tire in the second. Hardonk got back into the fight by landing a series of low kicks. That seemed to slow Sanchez and allowed Hardonk to land his blows that would eventually end the fight.
Daily Fantasy