Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided a handful of extra benefits to Vernon Carey during his junior and senior seasons. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $2.7 million Miami Beach home.
• Entertainment on Shapiro's $1.6 million yacht.
• Yahoo! Sports has acquired a photo of Carey sleeping on Shapiro's yacht during a fishing trip in the summer of 2003.
In Shapiro's words
• "Vernon Carey was first introduced to me, he came to my house with Bryant McKinnie. Bryant McKinnie was already a pro. Miami had just won the Rose Bowl [following the 2001 season], so yeah, he was going into his junior year."
• "He was part of a few events, private events. He wasn't a club guy so much. But he was at my friend Mark Levinson's bachelor party."
Could not be reached for comment.
- Vernon Carey