Nevin Shapiro on Telemaque: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided extra benefits to Vaughn Telemaque during his career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $6 million Miami Beach mansion.
• Pool tournaments for cash at Shapiro's home.
• Drinks and VIP access at nightclubs on multiple occasions.
In Shapiro's words
• "Vaughn Telemaque was one of Randy Phillips' friends. He was at the house a number of times and in the clubs with us. [He] played pool with us in the house when I would put [on] pool tournaments and put some cash in the pockets."
• "He was a really nice kid. Quiet California [attitude]. Laid back. Chill dude. But he was around a number of times."
Nevin Shapiro's cell phone providers condensed his calling records from 2002 to 2008 and deleted the booster's text messaging records prior to 2009. Despite a significant portion of his records being expunged, Yahoo! Sports was able to identify 11 calls or texts between Shapiro and Vaughn Telemaque from September 2009 to February 2010. This is a page showing communication between the booster and a phone number linked to Telemaque. PDF file
When reached by Yahoo! Sports, Telemaque denied knowing who Shapiro was. When made aware that Yahoo! Sports had identified at least 11 calls or texts between Shapiro and Telemaque's phone, the player said he was unaware of who he had been communicating with. “I don’t have his number saved," Telemaque said. "I don’t know who is calling from it. It doesn’t ring a bell man.”