More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on McIntosh: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to Rocky McIntosh during his career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claims to have provided:
- Rocky McIntosh
- Position: Linebacker
- Rivals recruiting rank: Unranked. McIntosh was a SuperPrep All-American in the Class of 2001.
- Miami career: An immediate solid contributor as a freshman, McIntosh developed into one of the best linebackers in college football by his senior season. He was selected by the Washington Redskins in the second round of the 2006 NFL draft. He is currently a starter for the Redskins.
• Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs on multiple occasions.
• Entertainment on Shapiro's $1.6 million yacht on multiple occasions.
• $500 in bounties. The bounty payment was for a pair of sacks and a fumble recovery by McIntosh in a 27-7 win over Virginia Tech on Nov. 5, 2005.
• Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs on multiple occasions including a May 2005 event at Mansion nightclub featuring Jay Z.
• One source corroborated Shapiro entertaining McIntosh with drinks and VIP access in nightclubs. One such incident included a May 2005 Mansion nightclub event featuring Jay Z. Yahoo! Sports also acquired Shapiro’s May 2005 credit card statement, showing a charge to Mansion nightclub on a day Jay Z performed at the club.
In Shapiro's words
• "Rocky McIntosh was a kid that I got along real good with. He was always present when we were in the nightclubs. I remember one moment specifically, we were at club Mansion and D.J. Irie was passing the mic around to me, and I was introducing all the ballplayers. I remember announcing Roger McIntosh from South Carolina."
• "He's been on the boat and we were in the clubs together a number of times."
Nevin Shapiro's cell phone providers condensed his calling records from 2002 to 2008 and deleted the booster's text messaging records prior to 2009. Despite a significant portion of his records being expunged, Yahoo! Sports was able to identify 30 calls or texts between Shapiro and Rocky McIntosh from July 2009 to August 2009. This is a page showing communication between the booster and a phone number linked to McIntosh. PDF file
This page from Shapiro's May 2005 American Express black card statement shows a bill of $9,738 for Mansion nightclub on May 14, 2005. The booster identified the night as a Jay Z appearance at the nightclub, in which Shapiro hosted a large group of players in his VIP section and made "more than a dozen" bottles of champagne and multiple bottles of high-end liquor available in his section. One former Miami football player corroborated the event, including his attendance and that of several other players. Shapiro alleged a large contingent of Miami players partied in his VIP area, including Jon Beason, Tavares Gooden, Rocky McIntosh, Brian Monroe, James Bryant, Bryan Pata and Willie Williams. PDF file
"I don't know nothing about that, I got to go," McIntosh said when told of Shapiro's allegations.