More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on Harris: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided Orien Harris with multiple forms of extra benefits during the player's career at Miami. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
- Orien Harris
- Position: Defensive tackle
- Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 25 player overall in the Class of 2001.
- Miami career: A key four-year defensive cog for the Hurricanes, Harris started his final three seasons in Miami. He became one of college football’s top defensive linemen and was selected by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL draft. He is currently out of football.
• VIP access and drinks at nightclubs
• Leisure trips on his $1.6 million yacht.
• Multiple cash gifts.
• A $250 bounty for a fumble recovery in a 27-7 road win over Virginia Tech on Nov. 5, 2005.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at his $2.7 million Miami Beach home.
• Shapiro also claims that his former partner at Axcess Sports – one-time agent and current UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue – provided extra benefits to Harris during his days at Miami.
Shapiro said this photo was taken prior to a fishing trip on his $1.6 million yacht in 2003. From left to right are Javon Nanton, Shapiro and Orien Harris.
• One source corroborated Shapiro's gifting of drinks and VIP access at clubs, as well as cash gifts.
• Yahoo! Sports has obtained photos of Harris aboard Shapiro's yacht in 2003, as well as attending Shapiro's 34th birthday party at his Miami Beach home in April 2003.
In Shapiro's words
• "Orien Harris was part of that first wave of players that I was getting involved with at the University of Miami. He was like right on the cusp time-wise."
• "He was at every single club event. He was in my house so many times I can't remember. I had given him cash a number of times. He was on my boat."
Shapiro said this photo was taken prior to a group fishing trip on Nevin Shapiro’s $1.6 million yacht in 2003. From left to right are Cornelius Green, Shapiro, Jerome McDougal, Jonathan Vilma, William Joseph, D.J. Williams, Javon Nanton and Orien Harris.
Shapiro and a second source said this photo was taken in April 2003, during Shapiro’s 34th birthday celebration at his $2.7 million Miami Beach home. From left to right are Orien Harris, Marcus Maxey, Javon Nanton and Antrel Rolle.
Shapiro and a second source said this photo was taken in April 2003, during Shapiro’s 34th birthday celebration at his $2.7 million Miami Beach home. From left to right are D.J. Williams, Orien Harris and Cornelius Green.
Photos special to Yahoo! Sports
Did respond to a phone message or a Facebook message.