More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on Corey: Play audio
- Position: Assistant equipment manager
- Miami career: Corey served as an assistant equipment manager for the Miami Hurricanes.
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleged that Joey Corey witnessed him committing multiple NCAA violations with Hurricanes football players. Among Shapiro's allegations:
• Corey encountered Shapiro in nightclubs on multiple occasions with Hurricanes football players.
• Corey witnessed Hurricanes players being entertained in his $6 million Miami Beach mansion on multiple occasions.
In Shapiro's words
• "Like the other equipment managers, I met Joey Corey through Sean Allen. Like Ralph Nogueras, Joey was in my house a number of times when I was entertaining University of Miami players, and also saw me at nightclubs on many occasions with Hurricanes players. He was aware that I was violating NCAA rules on many occasions."
Nevin Shapiro's cell phone providers condensed his calling records from 2002 to 2008 and deleted the booster's text messaging records prior to 2009. Despite a significant portion of his records being expunged, Yahoo! Sports was able to identify 78 calls or texts between Shapiro and Joey Corey from March 2009 to the booster's incarceration in April 2010. This is a page showing communication between the booster and a phone number linked to Corey. PDF file
Could not be reached for comment.