More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on Gore: Play audio
- Position: Running back
- Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 73 player overall in the Class of 2001.
- Miami career: Despite knee injuries that derailed promising seasons in 2002 and 2003, Gore bounced back to put together a solid season in 2004. He departed after his junior season and was selected in the third round of the 2005 NFL draft by the San Francisco 49ers. He is currently a starter for the 49ers.
Frank Gore was one of dozens of Hurricanes players named by Nevin Shapiro in recorded interviews with federal agents. During those interviews, the booster admitted supplying benefits to an array of Miami players from 2002 to 2010. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided to Gore:
• Lunch with Gore on a handful of occasions.
• Shapiro also told federal agents in taped interviews that both he and current Miami staffer Sean Allen had knowledge of Shapiro's partner in Axcess Sports – then-NFL agent and current UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue – paying Gore while he played for the Hurricanes.
In Shapiro's words
• "Frank Gore, I went to lunch with [him] a couple of times. I never had any real serious outlay myself personally, but I do know that my partner, Michael Huyghue from Axcess Sports was heavily recruiting Frank."
• "I know Michael Huyghue laid out a considerable amount of money to him. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000 to $30,000. I'm quite certain that was the amount."
Could not be reached for comment.