More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on Epps: Play audio
- Position: Tight end
- Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 12 tight end in the Class of 2006.
- Miami career: A four-year contributor and two-year starter for the Hurricanes, Epps developed into a solid third passing option on offense. He was drafted in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL draft by the San Diego Chargers. He is currently a backup with the Miami Dolphins.
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided extra benefits to Dedrick Epps during his career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Drinks and VIP access on at least two nightclub visits – Cameo Theatre and Mansion in Miami Beach.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired Shapiro's October 2008 American Express Platinum card statement showing a charge to Cameo Theatre for a night the booster said was attended by Epps.
• One source corroborated Shapiro entertaining Epps with drinks and VIP access in nightclubs.
In Shapiro's words
• "I only saw him out two or three times and he was with Jacory Harris both of those times. We were at Cameo Theatre one or two nights on hip-hop night and we were at Mansion on one other occasion."
This page from Nevin Shapiro's September 2008 American Express Platinum card statement shows a charge of $1,610.51 which the booster identified as a tab for alcohol in his VIP section at Cameo following Miami's home loss to Florida State that season. Shapiro said he entertained at least five players in his section that night, including Robert Marve, Randy Phillips, Jacory Harris, Dedrick Epps and Gavin Hardin. PDF file
Epps did not respond to phone and Facebook messages.