Nevin Shapiro on Sharpton: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided a handful of extra benefits to Darryl Sharpton during his career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $6 million Miami Beach mansion.
• Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs.
• Shapiro also attempted to set a bounty incentive for Sharpton and others for Miami's Sept. 6, 2008, game against Florida. However, the Hurricanes lost 26-3, and the bounties were never paid.
• One source corroborated Shapiro providing VIP access and drinks for Sharpton in nightclubs.
In Shapiro's words
• "Darryl Sharpton was a really, really cerebral kid. Strange. Not like weird strange, but he was just a lot smarter for a football player than what you probably give any credit to [with] a normal player. He was around my house a number of times and he's been in the club scene with us a few times."
Shapiro's cell phone providers condensed his calling records from 2002 to 2008 and deleted the booster's text messaging records prior to 2009. Despite a significant portion of his records being expunged, Yahoo! Sports was able to identify five texts between Shapiro and Darryl Sharpton on Nov. 21, 2009. This is a page showing communication between the booster and a phone number linked to Sharpton. PDF file
Could not be reached for comment.
- Darryl Sharpton