More in this article:
Nevin Shapiro on Monroe: Play audio
- Position: Punter
- Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 20 kicker in the Class of 2003.
- Miami career: Monroe was a steady four-year starter at punter for the Miami Hurricanes. He is currently out of football.
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to Brian Monroe during his career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Multiple leisure trips on the booster's $1.6 million yacht.
• Multiple trips to nightclubs where Shapiro paid for VIP access and drinks.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $2.7 million Miami Beach home.
• Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs on multiple occasions including a May 2005 event at Mansion nightclub featuring Jay Z.
• One source corroborated Shapiro entertaining Monroe with drinks and VIP access in nightclubs. One such incident included a May 2005 Mansion nightclub event featuring Jay Z. Yahoo! Sports also acquired Shapiro’s May 2005 credit card statement, showing a charge to Mansion nightclub on a day Jay Z performed at the club.
In Shapiro's words
• "[He was] very close friends with Jon Beason, who I looked at as sort of a younger brother. Monroe was on my boat a number of times. He was also in my house a number of times. … He partook in the club scene for sure."
This page from Nevin Shapiro's May 2005 American Express black card statement shows a bill of $9,738 for Mansion nightclub on May 14, 2005. The former booster identified the night as a Jay Z appearance at the nightclub, in which Shapiro hosted a large group of players in his VIP section and made "more than a dozen" bottles of champagne and multiple bottles of high-end liquor available in his section. One former Miami football player corroborated the event, including his attendance and that of several other players. Shapiro alleged a large contingent of Miami players partied in his VIP area, including Jon Beason, Tavares Gooden, Rocky McIntosh, Brian Monroe, James Bryant, Brian Pata and Willie Williams. PDF file
Did not respond to phone or Facebook messages.