Nevin Shapiro on Johnson: Play audio
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to Andrew Johnson during the running back's career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Multiple small cash gifts totaling approximately $500.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at his $2.7 million Miami Beach home.
• One source corroborated Shapiro providing VIP access and drinks for Andrew Johnson in nightclubs.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired Shapiro’s April 2005 American Express Black card statement, which shows a charge of $1,040 for Heat tickets three days before the opening of its first round playoff series against the New Jersey Nets.
In Shapiro's words
• "Once he saw me around a lot of the players, he walked up on me, introduced himself, asked me what my role is, what I do, [etc.]. I inevitably gave him cash a number of times. He'd come to my house. And I gave him tickets to a Miami Heat game a few times, and also a playoff game as well."
This page from Nevin Shapiro's April 2005 American Express black card statement shows a charge of $1,040 which the former booster identified as Miami Heat tickets purchased for Andrew Johnson. Shapiro said the tickets were for Miami's first-round playoff series against the New Jersey Nets, and were purchased for both Johnson and a guest of the player. PDF file
Could not be reached for comment.
- Andrew Johnson
- Miami Heat
- New Jersey Nets