More in this article:
This photo of Andre Johnson and Nevin Shapiro was taken at Miami’s team awards banquet following the 2002 season.
Andre Johnson was one of dozens of Hurricanes players named by Shapiro in recorded interviews with federal agents. During those interviews, the booster admitted supplying benefits to an array of Miami players from 2002 to 2010. Shapiro alleges he provided extra benefits to Johnson in 2002. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
- Andre Johnson
- Position: Wide receiver
- Rivals recruiting rank: None. Johnson was a Parade All-American and SuperPrep national top 50 player.
- Miami career: In three seasons with the Hurricanes, Johnson became an All-American and one of the top wideouts in the country. He was selected by the Houston Texans with the third overall pick in the 2003 NFL draft. He is an All-Pro with the Texans.
• Multiple trips to nightclubs where Shapiro paid for VIP access and drinks.
• One source corroborated Shapiro paying for drinks and VIP access for Johnson in nightclubs.
In Shapiro's words
• "I met him at the University of Miami awards banquet the year they were going to play in the Rose Bowl [against Nebraska for the 2001 national championship]."
Could not be reached for comment.