The San Francisco 49ers have begun their cutdown to 53 players. We'll keep track of all the roster moves.
The San Francisco 49ers appear to be getting their cuts underway the evening before they have to reach 75 players. Two early reports have the 49ers cutting quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson and kicker Colton Schmidt.
#49ers expected to waive QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, source said. Leaves them 3 QBs on roster.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) August 26, 2014
49ers are cutting punter Colton Schmidt, according to a source. He led the preseason in net yards— Aaron Wilson (@RavensInsider) August 26, 2014
I am not overly surprised by the McBLT release, even though I did not predict it earlier today. Blaine Gabbert and Josh Johnson have seen the bulk of quarterback snaps behind Colin Kaepernick, so it makes sense to give them each another opportunity to show their stuff on Thursday against the Houston Texans.
I am a little surprised by the release of Colton Schmidt given the injury Phil Dawson suffered on Sunday. He injured his leg but was kicking during halftime, so I suppose the team decided it just was not that big a deal.
Here is the full roster, which we will update as cuts come in.
More from sbnation.com:
- Marcus Martin (knee), Will Tukuafu (concussion), Raymond Ventrone (hamstring) ruled out of game
- 49ers vs. Chargers final score: Blaine Gabbert, Aaron Lynch both show different things
- 49ers preseason winners and losers from Week 3 vs. Chargers
- 'Hope' is Marcus Martin 'only' has dislocated knee cap, per Eric Branch
- 49ers roster cuts 2014: Who will be the first 15 moved to get to the 75-man roster?
- Colin Kaepernick does not appear too concerned about the 49ers preseason offensive struggles
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- San Francisco 49ers
- Aaron Wilson