The college football 2012 season is fast approaching.
This list, in my own Maize and Blue opinion, compiles the very best reasons why being a Michigan football fan is awesome:
1. Michigan Stadium: Affectionately known as "The Big House," the stadium seats 109,901.
2. Overall Program Record: Michigan is winningest football program in history at 895-310-36.
3. Produced Tom Brady: Currently the quarterback for the New England Patriots, Brady is one of the most successful NFL players in football history, and a graduate of UM.
4. Conference Titles: The Wolverines boasts 42 Big Ten championships, the most titles in the conference.
5. Playing Ohio State: Michigan is one half of the greatest rivalry in college football, possibly in all of sports.
6. Iconic Fight Song: When the crowd goes "Hail to the Victors Valiant!" you know what school they are talking about.
7. Desmond Howard's Heisman Pose: College players today aspire to win the trophy and strike the pose that this famous receiver made in 1991.
8. Denard Robinson: The current Michigan QB, the most dynamic football player in all of college football.
9. Produced Charles Woodson: The 1997 Heisman winner and current Green Bay Packer is one of the few defensive players to ever win the trophy.
10. Playing Michigan State: There aren't a lot of in-state football rivalries that matter anymore. MSU-UM is one of the unique few to remain.
11. Brady Hoke: In his first year as the head football coach, Hoke won the Sugar Bowl. Imagine what he could do next.
12. "The Michigan Way": People know Michigan's style of play -- tough defense, balanced offense.
13. The "Go Blue" Banner: There's nothing like the tradition of the Michigan football team leaping up to touch the banner at home games.
14. Conference Reputation: Besides Ohio State, no other program means more to the Big Ten conference than Michigan.
15. Lloyd Carr: This is the last coach to win a Big Ten championship at Michigan. He's also a great man.
16. Old School Program: Everything about Michigan is a throwback to old-school college football.
17. Iconic Helmet: There's nothing in college football like the wings flowing on the Michigan helmet.
18. Coolest Uniform Colors: Perhaps only Penn State's colors can rival Michigan in tradition, but there's still nothing like the maize and blue.
19. Die Hard Fans: Michigan fans don't waver. Once a Wolverine, always a Wolverine.
20. Bo Schembechler: This man is responsible for the Michigan name and rivalry with Ohio State.
21. National Titles: Michigan's 11 national titles, the most of any team in the Big Ten.
22. Fielding H. Yost: He is the first Michigan coach to win a national title (1901). He has to be on this list.
23. Winning Seasons: Michigan has more winning seasons (113) than any other team in the country.
24. Playing Notre Dame: Michigan's rivalry with the Irish goes all the way back to 1887.
25. David Brandon: The current Michigan athletic director was once the CEO of Domino's Pizza. What other school can brag about that?
I'm a proud graduate of the University of Michigan (Class of 2007). I covered sports in Michigan for four years at The Battle Creek Enquirer (in Battle Creek, MI). My connection to the Wolverine football team is very dear to my heart.
Stats and other information taken from MGOBLUE.COM.