Two Major League Soccer Eastern Conference clubs are moving in two very different directions heading into the middle of April. Sporting Kansas City are rocketing up MLS power rankings, while some analysts are calling New York Red Bulls the worst team in all of the MLS East. The league's best team is once again a Western Conference club, one that squandered a lead when away from home this past Saturday.
2013 Week 6 MLS power rankings
19. Seattle Sounders (0-3-1): This is by default only, as Seattle have thus far only played four league games. As much as some fans may not want to admit it, getting bounced from CONCACAF Champions League will be a blessing for the Sounders.
18. New England Revolution (1-2-1): The Revs are another team that falls in MLS power rankings through no fault of their own. Ironically, they will be away to Seattle on April 13.
17. DC United (1-3-1): DC did well to frustrate KC for about 88 minutes before a turnover in their own end of the pitch cost them dearly. Silly mistakes continue to be United's undoing.
16. New York Red Bulls (1-3-2): The best three words that describe New York's defending: Stink, stank, stunk.
15. Chicago Fire (1-3-1): Chicago didn't have to be great on Sunday afternoon. The Red Bulls made things easy enough for the Fire to get that elusive first win of the year.
14. Colorado Rapids (1-3-2): Rookie goalkeeper Clint Irwin continues to steal the show for the Rapids. He has to be a (very) early ROTY favorite right now.
13. Toronto FC (1-2-2): One thing you cay about TFC matches this season: Don't turn them off until the final whistle. Otherwise, you'll probably miss at least one goal.
12. Portland Timbers (1-1-3): The 2-0 win over Houston loses some of its luster due to David Horst going down to a leg injury that will keep him sidelined for six months.
11. Real Salt Lake (2-3-1): RSL did get "Irwin'd" in Colorado, but it also didn't help that their big guns weren't firing with much accuracy when it mattered most. You could argue that Salt Lake should have brought a point back home with them.
10. Philadelphia Union (2-2-1): Earning a draw in Columbus against a pretty good Crew side is no easy task. I'm starting to wonder if I may be underestimating how good Philly will be as the season progresses.
9. San Jose Earthquakes (2-2-2): The dreaded "wardrobe malfunction" bit San Jose hard on Saturday night. All things considered, the 'Quakes may have been the most unlucky MLS team of the weekend.
8. Vancouver Whitecaps (2-2-1): It was nice to see Corey Hertzog make good use of some playing time in Vancouver's 1-1 draw at San Jose. He'll earn even more minutes if he can find the back of the net with regularity.
7. Houston Dynamo (3-2-0): Here's the spot for your weekly "Houston only really look like champions when playing at home" comment.
6. Columbus Crew (2-1-2): Did well to rally from behind against Philly, but that draw has to be at least a little disappointing for the Crew. They left multiple goals out on the pitch via missed scoring opportunities.
5. LA Galaxy (2-0-2): Galaxy were on CCL duty only in the past week, and thus they fall just a little bit in MLS power rankings.
4. Montreal Impact (4-1-0): I remain interested in seeing how Montreal react after having some extra time to think about that first loss of the campaign. Columbus at home won't be an easy out for them this coming Saturday.
3. Chivas USA (3-1-1): Arguably the most exciting and newsworthy team in all of MLS plays at home this weekend. Just throwing that out there, LA soccer fans.
2. Sporting Kansas City (3-1-2): Back-to-back victories have landed KC back in the top-two of MLS power rankings and in the conference standings.
1. FC Dallas (4-1-1): Dallas failed to close a team out on the road for the second time this season, but that's not enough to drop them from the top spot in MLS power rankings. It's rare that earning an away point is a bad thing.
For more: Last week's MLS power rankings
Zac has been covering New York Red Bulls, Major League Soccer, Tottenham Hotspur, the USMNT and other soccer leagues for Yahoo! Sports since 2010.
- Sports & Recreation
- New York Red Bulls
- Sporting Kansas City
- Seattle Sounders