New York and Seattle are at the bottom of Major League Soccer power rankings, and you could argue that Montreal and Chivas USA are playing better than are any other teams in the league. A lot has changed in MLS since last fall. One thing that hasn't changed since the start of the season is that Chicago continue to be dreadful.
At least they finally scored a goal, though.
2013 Week 4 MLS power rankings
19. Chicago Fire (0-3-1): After 410 minutes, Chicago finally found the back of the net in 2013! Unfortunately for them, they then gave up three goals in the final 26 minutes of play.
18. Colorado Rapids (0-3-1): Who would have thought losing their starting goalkeeper wouldn't be why Colorado are near the basement of MLS power rankings? Clint Irwin has been very good, but he can't run down the pitch and score for his side.
17. New York Red Bulls (0-2-2): Nobody within the RBNY fan base should be panicking just yet. If New York can't beat Philly at home this coming Saturday, though...
16. Seattle Sounders (0-2-1): I keep thinking that the Sounders will flip the switch any minute now. I, along with Seattle fans everywhere, remain waiting.
15. Portland Timbers (0-1-2): Portland were off this week, so I really don't have anything to say about them. They are away to Colorado on Saturday.
14. Real Salt Lake (1-2-1): Due to injuries and the international break, RSL were without 11 players for their game at Dallas. MLS has to find a better way of dealing with these FIFA dates.
13. New England Revolution (1-1-1): The Revs have scored a single goal this season. That came against the worst team in the league. Not good.
12. Toronto FC (1-2-0): Could that Toronto vs. LA Galaxy game be an upset in the making? Toronto will be rested and playing in front of a home crowd. Just sayin'.
11. DC United (1-2-1): Bill Hamid was again heroic for DC, but his one mistake of the match was also a big reason the hosts didn't earn at least a point against Columbus. I'm sure the young 'keeper will be fine moving forward.
10. Sporting KC (1-1-2): Maybe there are legitimate reasons SKC fans should be at least a little concerned. That attack hasn't looked the same since the win at Philly to open the campaign.
9. Philadelphia Union (2-1-0): Philly can prove this doubter wrong by beating free-falling RBNY in Harrison, NJ on Saturday.
8. Chivas USA (2-1-1): Anybody who watched Sunday's Chicago vs. Chivas match could see that the Chivas players love playing for head coach Chelís. Now, let's see if anybody actually goes to the arena when Chivas host Vancouver this coming Saturday.
7. Vancouver Whitecaps (2-1-0): You can't drop Vancouver too low in MLS power rankings due to a loss at Houston. Only teams who wear orange win there.
6. Houston Dynamo (2-1-0): The best home team in all of North American pro sports plays in MLS. It's hard to imagine the Dynamo losing in Houston; ever.
5. FC Dallas (3-1-0): Where did this come from? Dallas had somewhat of an easy night due to RSL being without so many players, but you win the games that are on your schedule. That's true in any professional league, including MLS.
4. Columbus Crew (2-1-1): I've been saying it since February, and I'll say it again here: Do not sleep on Columbus. While the rest of the MLS East beats each other up, the Crew have quietly become the second best team in the conference.
3. San Jose Earthquakes (2-1-1): And some of you were concerned about Chris Wondolowski and the 'Quakes. They may not win 3-0 every weekend, but they will likely be one of the best teams in the West when all is said and done.
2. LA Galaxy (2-0-1): They were far from elite on Saturday evening, but they took advantage of their best opportunity and earned three points at home.
1. Montreal Impact (4-0-0): Still kings of all MLS power rankings, Montreal are no joke. They have a star who can routinely find the back of the net, they're solid in defense, and they have a real home field advantage thanks to stellar fan support.
Zac has been covering New York Red Bulls, Major League Soccer, Tottenham Hotspur, the USMNT and other soccer leagues for Yahoo! Sports since 2010.
- Sports & Recreation
- Major League Soccer
- Chivas USA
- New York Red Bulls