KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Casey Morris had 21 points to lead five Texas Tech players scoring in double figures in an 81-58 victory against Texas in the first round of the Big 12 tournament on Wednesday night.
Chynna Brown and Monique Smalls had 12 points each and Jordan Barncastle and Kierra Mallard 11 apiece for the ninth-seeded Red Raiders (19-12), who play top seed Baylor in a quarterfinal game on Thursday.
Ashleigh Fontenette scored 21 points and Ashley Gayle and Yvonne Anderson 10 each for the eighth-seeded Longhorns (18-13), who shot just 17.9 percent (7 of 39) in the first half en route to trailing 35-21 at the break.
Morris had three baskets, including two 3-pointers, in the first 2:30 of the second half to push the Texas Tech lead to 22 points. Texas got no closer than 12 points the rest of the way.
Mallard and Gayle had 15 rebounds each.
- Jones, McMillan of UT Martin named OVC player, coach
- Coach Scott Rueck leads Oregon State among nation's elite
- Duke's Williams leads all-ACC women's hoops team
- Oklahoma defeats Oklahoma State 66-56
- Stewart scores 29, top-ranked UConn beats USF 88-65
- Seton Hall ranked again; UConn still No. 1 in AP poll
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- Massengale helps No. 6 Lady Vols breeze past Vandy 79-49
- South Carolina, Tennessee headline SEC Tournament
- Cal senior Reshanda Gray named Pac-12 Player of the Year
- Big East schools take top billing at ACC women's tourney
- No. 6 Baylor women end regular season 75-65 over Texas Tech
- At 27-3, Florida State looking like postseason threat
- UConn still No. 1 in women's basketball poll
- No. 13 Kentucky women topple No. 2 South Carolina 67-56
- Hempen leads No. 10 Arizona State women past Colorado, 59-46