Late layup lifts UALR past Middle Tennessee 71-70By KURT VOIGT, AP Sports Writer Tuesday, Mar 6, 2012
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Taylor Ford’s layup with 11 seconds remaining in overtime sent Arkansas-Little Rock to its third straight NCAA tournament with a 71-70 win Tuesday over Middle Tennessee in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament championship game.
The Trojans (20-12), blew a 22 point lead in the second half.
Taylor Gault led UALR with 20 points and made a jumper near the end of regulation to send it into overtime. Marian Kursh added 18 points and 16 rebounds.
UALR earned won the Sun Belt tournament last year and lost to Green Bay in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
Icellyn Elie scored a career-high 29 points to lead the Blue Raiders (26-6), who have reached the NCAAs in each of the last three seasons.
- UConn women dominate American Conference awards
- No. 17 Chattanooga women beat UNC-Greensboro 78-44
- Baylor women going for 5th straight Big 12 tourney title
- Purdue women rally, beat Wisconsin 58-56 in Big Ten tourney
- Auburn women beat Florida 71-49 in 1st round of SEC tourney
- Baylor women have Big 12's top player and coach
- Hamby, Wake Forest women beat BC in ACC tourney opener
- Notre Dame's Loyd named ACC women's hoops player of year
- Michigan State women beat Michigan 69-49 in Big Ten tourney
- Wake Forest women upset No. 22 Syracuse 85-79
- Coach's adopted toddler builds a life with hoops team
- Vanderbilt women beat Alabama 66-56 in SEC tourney
- Young, Virginia Tech women beat NC State in ACC tourney
- Lauren Hill wins all-conference honors for her courage
- Oregon State, Arizona State favorites for Pac-12 tourney
- Start times moved up for SEC women due to incoming ice, snow