Late layup lifts UALR past Middle Tennessee 71-70By KURT VOIGT, AP Sports Writer Tuesday, Mar 6, 2012
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Taylor Ford’s layup with 11 seconds remaining in overtime sent Arkansas-Little Rock to its third straight NCAA tournament with a 71-70 win Tuesday over Middle Tennessee in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament championship game.
The Trojans (20-12), blew a 22 point lead in the second half.
Taylor Gault led UALR with 20 points and made a jumper near the end of regulation to send it into overtime. Marian Kursh added 18 points and 16 rebounds.
UALR earned won the Sun Belt tournament last year and lost to Green Bay in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
Icellyn Elie scored a career-high 29 points to lead the Blue Raiders (26-6), who have reached the NCAAs in each of the last three seasons.
- Connecticut governor: move '16 Final Four unless law changes
- Hurting Baylor women expect to be bigger, better next season
- Notre Dame beats Baylor, advances to 5th straight Final Four
- Tennessee-Maryland Preview
- No. 2 seed Tennessee beats No. 11 Gonzaga 73-69 in overtime
- Seventh-seed Dayton beats Louisville 82-66
- UConn steamrolls past Texas 105-54, reaches regional final
- Guards key to advancement in women's NCAA Tournament
- McGraw appreciates Notre Dame women's run more than ever
- Mitchell sends South Carolina women to 1st Final Four
- South Carolina earns 1st Final Four berth, beats FSU 80-74
- Dayton-UConn Preview
- No. 1 seed Maryland ousts Duke in regional semifinals 65-55
- Baylor-Notre Dame Preview
- No. 1 seed Gamecocks, No. 2 Seminoles meet in regional final
- Notre Dame beats Stanford 81-60, advances to Elite Eight