Late layup lifts UALR past Middle Tennessee 71-70By KURT VOIGT, AP Sports Writer Tuesday, Mar 6, 2012
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Taylor Ford’s layup with 11 seconds remaining in overtime sent Arkansas-Little Rock to its third straight NCAA tournament with a 71-70 win Tuesday over Middle Tennessee in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament championship game.
The Trojans (20-12), blew a 22 point lead in the second half.
Taylor Gault led UALR with 20 points and made a jumper near the end of regulation to send it into overtime. Marian Kursh added 18 points and 16 rebounds.
UALR earned won the Sun Belt tournament last year and lost to Green Bay in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
Icellyn Elie scored a career-high 29 points to lead the Blue Raiders (26-6), who have reached the NCAAs in each of the last three seasons.
- No. 20 Oklahoma State beats Morgan State 73-43
- No. 17 Iowa surges past Northern Iowa 73-45
- No. 12 Louisville women top Western Kentucky 89-67
- No. 21 Rutgers eases past Wagner 81-53
- Johnson helps No. 5 Stanford over New Mexico
- Moore, No. 4 Lady Vols beat Tennessee State 97-46
- No. 2 Notre Dame routs Harvard 97-43
- South Carolina women No. 1 in AP Poll for 1st time
- No. 25 Mississippi St beats Louisiana-Monroe 80-46
- Calhoun helps No. 8 Duke women rout Buffalo 88-54
- No. 22 Georgia defeats Georgia Southern 93-52
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats Quinnipiac 112-52
- No. 7 Texas A&M uses big run to beat Prairie View
- No. 10 Maryland routs Loyola 65-43
- South Carolina the new No. 1 in AP women's hoops
- Father bests son as Middle Tenn beats Mississippi