No. 22 Gonzaga women top Saint Mary’s 83-78 in WCCSaturday, Mar 3, 2012
LAS VEGAS (AP) Kayla Standish scored 31 points as No. 22 Gonzaga held off Saint Mary’s (Calif.) 83-78 in the semifinals of the West Coast Conference women’s tournament Saturday.
Katelan Redmon added 20 points, Haiden Palmer 14 and Taelor Karr 11 for the top-seeded Bulldogs (26-4), who won their fifth straight and 11th in their last 12.
Gonzaga will face second-seeded BYU in Monday’s final. BYU defeated San Diego 64-46 in the other semifinal.
Jackie Nared’s 26 points paced the fourth-seeded Gaels (21-10). Danielle Mauldin had a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds, while Alex Carbonel scored 13.
Neither team ever led by more than seven points, and both shot well. Gonzaga hit 48 percent (32 of 67) and Saint Mary’s 50 percent (29 of 58).
With the score tied at 70, Gonzaga took the lead for good. Karr hit a 3-pointer and Redmon and Standish converted layups for a 77-70 edge with 4:07 left.
- Breanna Stewart picked as AAC player of the year
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat FSU 83-57 in ACCs
- Arkansas fires women's coach Tom Collen
- No. 14 NC State women beat Syracuse 79-63 in ACC
- No. 5 South Carolina advances to SEC semifinals
- Washington State outlasts Oregon for 107-100 win
- Friday's Syracuse-NC State ACC game delayed 1 hour
- Minnesota tops Wisconsin 74-68 in OT
- Stanford outlasts Colorado 69-54 in Pac-12 tourney
- No. 12 Kentucky women edge Florida, 75-70
- No. 23 Iowa women rally past No. 17 Purdue 87-80
- Ohio State women upset No. 11 Penn State 99-82
- Lights go out 2nd straight day at ACC tournament
- No. 13 UNC women beat Wake Forest 69-65 in ACCs
- Lights go out in ACC tournament 2nd-round game
- Tanner sisters lead Auburn past Ole Miss, 70-54