HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Devon Kane scored all 10 of her points in the final 5:53 as Villanova held off a furious Seton Hall rally to win 61-60 Friday night in the Big East tournament first round.
After Kane’s three-point play with 1:42 remaining gave the 10th-seeded Wildcats (17-13) their biggest lead, 55-47, Villanova made just 6 of 14 free throws to barely hang on.
Jasmine Crew scored nine straight points as the 15th-seeded Pirates (8-23) closed to 58-56 with 32 seconds left. Kane answered with two free throws, but Alexis Brown’s layup got Seton Hall back within two.
With 13 seconds remaining, Kane was 1 of 2 from the line. Jazzmine Johnson’s layup with 4 seconds to go made it 61-60. Although Kane missed two foul shots a second later, the Pirates did not get another shot off.
Lauren Burford’s 15 points led the Wildcats and Crew finished with 21 for Seton Hall.
- Five Things to Know about women's selection Monday
- Robert Morris edges St. Francis (Pa.) 78-64
- Wright State wins women's Horizon title
- James Madison tops Delaware 70-45 to win CAA
- Western Kentucky wins women's Sun Belt final
- Army women beat Holy Cross to win Patriot League
- Cal State Northridge women win Big West
- Hampton beats Coppin State 50-47 for MEAC title
- FGCU holds off Stetson for A-Sun title, 72-70
- Wichita State women beat Drake in Missouri Valley
- Northwestern St wins women's Southland title
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- No. 22 Middle Tennessee women win C-USA title
- Idaho reaches NCAAs with 75-67 win for WAC title
- Buck, UND women earn first berth to Div I tourney
- Prairie View women upset Texas Southern 63-58