After Kane’s three-point play with 1:42 remaining gave the 10th-seeded Wildcats (17-13) their biggest lead, 55-47, Villanova made just 6 of 14 free throws to barely hang on.
Jasmine Crew scored nine straight points as the 15th-seeded Pirates (8-23) closed to 58-56 with 32 seconds left. Kane answered with two free throws, but Alexis Brown’s layup got Seton Hall back within two.
With 13 seconds remaining, Kane was 1 of 2 from the line. Jazzmine Johnson’s layup with 4 seconds to go made it 61-60. Although Kane missed two foul shots a second later, the Pirates did not get another shot off.
Lauren Burford’s 15 points led the Wildcats and Crew finished with 21 for Seton Hall.
- No. 7 Oregon State women rout USC 68-35
- Bulgak leads No. 9 Florida State women past Georgia Tech
- No. 8 Louisville women beat No. 23 Syracuse 78-58
- No. 18 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 69-44
- No. 20 Iowa women break record for 3s, beat Northwestern
- No. 15 Nebraska women hold off Illinois, 59-57
- No. 14 Texas women edge No. 24 Oklahoma 84-81 in 2OT
- Stevens and Chidom lead No. 17 Duke women over Pitt 62-45
- No. 25 Chattanooga women cruise past Mercer 71-59
- Berntsen leads No. 19 Princeton women past Harvard 96-46
- No. 6 Tennessee women eke out 73-72 win over No. 10 Kentucky
- Westbeld leads No. 4 Notre Dame women past Va Tech 74-50
- No. 5 Maryland wins 12th straight, 91-65 over Michigan
- No. 1 South Carolina women cruise past Alabama 85-54
- No. 22 Rutgers women beats Purdue 58-49