No. 25 S. Carolina women top No. 16 Georgia 59-55By BETH RUCKER, AP Sports Writer Saturday, Mar 3, 2012
The sixth-seeded Gamecocks (23-8), who grabbed the only upset of the tournament’s first two rounds, will face 13th-ranked and second-seeded Tennessee on Saturday. South Carolina beat the Lady Volunteers in the regular-season meeting of the teams.
Jasmine James hit a pair of free throws for the Lady Bulldogs with 1:03 left to cut South Carolina’s lead to 57-55, but Georgia would turn the ball over once and miss two shots to close out the game.
The Lady Bulldogs, who had a 38-33 rebounding advantage and shot 41.5 percent, held the Gamecocks to 36.8 percent shooting. South Carolina went 6-for-6 at the free-throw line in the final 3:10.
Jasmine Hassell scored 16 points to lead third-seeded Georgia (22-8), and James had 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- No. 16 Stanford coasts past UC Santa Barbara 90-34
- No. 25 Arizona State beats Yale 69-51
- Richardson-Smith keys Seton Hall to upset of No. 14 Georgia
- No. 20 Michigan State falls 61-57 in Big Ten opener
- No. 17 Rutgers shuts down Indiana 66-51 in Big 10 opener
- Jefferson leads No. 2 UConn women over SMU 96-45