St. John’s 53, Kansas St. 64
MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP)—Mariah White scored a career-high 17 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead Kansas State past No. 14 St. John’s 64-53 Saturday in the title game of the Commerce Bank Wildcat Classic.
The Wildcats (2-0) held the Red Storm (1-1) to 27.1 percent shooting (19 of 70) from the floor.
White sealed the win by hitting eight free throws in the final 5 minutes. Bransea Brown had a career-high 14 points and blocked four shots, while Brittany Chambers had 12 points and Jalana Childs 10.
Nadirah McKenith scored 24 points on 9-of-16 shooting for St. John’s. Shenneika Smith added nine points.
The score was 18-18 at the break and the teams swapped the lead until the Wildcats went ahead to stay, 38-36, on Childs’ jumper with 8:31 to play.
The Wildcats stretched the lead to nine and then held off St. John’s late charge on White’s free throws.
- Maryland knocks off Tennessee 58-48 in regional final
- UConn reaches 8th straight Final Four with win over Dayton
- McGraw appreciates Notre Dame women's run more than ever
- Mitchell sends South Carolina women to 1st Final Four
- South Carolina earns 1st Final Four berth, beats FSU 80-74
- Dayton-UConn Preview
- No. 1 seed Maryland ousts Duke in regional semifinals 65-55
- Baylor-Notre Dame Preview
- Four No. 1 seeds in the women's Final Four
- Connecticut governor: move '16 Final Four unless law changes
- Hurting Baylor women expect to be bigger, better next season
- Notre Dame beats Baylor, advances to 5th straight Final Four
- Tennessee-Maryland Preview
- No. 2 seed Tennessee beats No. 11 Gonzaga 73-69 in overtime
- Seventh-seed Dayton beats Louisville 82-66
- UConn steamrolls past Texas 105-54, reaches regional final