Texas will be looking for its first-ever win at Kansas State when the teams meet in a pivotal Big 12 matchup on Wednesday.
Almost counted out of the conference race a month ago, the 13th-ranked Longhorns (15-7, 8-3) find themselves locked in a four-way tie for second with the 18th-ranked Wildcats (17-5, 8-3), Iowa State and Texas Tech, one game behind No. 7 Baylor.
Texas is the two-time defending Big 12 champion, and the Longhorns have four conference games left before the Big 12 tournament.
Texas, which started 1-2 in league play, has won two straight to keep pace with the first-place Bears.
Tiffany Jackson had 14 points and 12 rebounds as the Longhorns stayed in the chase for a third straight league crown Sunday, posting a 64-43 win over Texas Tech.
Jackson sat for the first 11 minutes because of a swollen membrane around the joint in her ankle. The condition flared up Thursday. On Sunday, she had her fifth double-double in eight games.
“If you had seen her foot and ankle a couple of days ago, you would have doubted if she could play,” said Texas coach Jody Conradt. “Even at shootaround this morning there was still some doubt.”
Jackson, a 6-foot-3 center, is averaging 17.7 points and 8.6 rebounds per game.
The Longhorns are 0-4 at Kansas State since the inception of the Big 12 in 1996-97.
The Wildcats have lost two of their last three games, including a 77-61 setback to Oklahoma on Sunday.
Kendra Wecker scored 29 points on 12-for-21 shooting and grabbed nine rebounds to lead Kansas State. Wrecker is the Big 12’s top scorer with 20.6 points per game. She’s 24 rebounds away from becoming the first Wildcat to record 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in a career.
Kansas State is averaging 32 rebounds per game to top the conference. The Wildcats boast a 16-1 record when they outrebound the opposition.
- Oregon St. women advance in 70-60 win over WSU
- No. 2 Irish beat No. 14 NC State 83-48 in ACCs
- No. 10 Duke women edge No. 13 UNC 66-61
- Bussie leads No. 7 West Virginia past TCU
- USF women advance with 72-44 win over Temple
- No. 23 Iowa tops Ohio St. 77-73 in Big Ten semis
- New Orleans women end season 0-29, tying record
- Lady Vols hold off Texas A&M, 86-77, in SEC semis
- USC upsets No. 4 Stanford 72-68 in Pac-12 semis
- Texas pushes past Oklahoma 82-72
- No. 12 Kentucky upsets No. 5 South Carolina 68-58
- No. 3 Louisville women cruise to win over Houston
- No. 16 Nebraska crushes No. 19 Michigan St. 86-58
- Seton Hall women move past Providence 88-79
- No. 9 Baylor women rout Kansas in Big 12 quarters
- Top-ranked UConn women rout Cincinnati 72-42