COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—Martina Ellerbe drilled four straight free throws to start the second half to give Ohio State the lead for good and sparked an 89-78 win over No. 17 Purdue Thursday night in a Big 10 Conference opener.
The Buckeyes led by as many as 16 points with four minutes left on back-to-back layups by Raven Ferguson. The Boilermakers got no closer than 10 points down in the closing minutes.
Ellerbe and Ameryst Alston each finished with 19 points to lead Ohio State (11-6, 1-0 Big Ten). Cait Craft and Darryce Moore finished with 15 and 14 points, respectively. But the Buckeyes shot 56 percent from the field (31 of 55) and converted 20 of 26 free throw attempts.
KK Houser scored 26 points to lead the Boilermakers (10-3, 0-1).
The Buckeyes are the lone Big 10 team to own a winning record against Purdue and now leads the series 41-27.
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- UConn stays No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll; Iowa in at 25