The Owls (5-3) had pulled to within 68-66 when Meghan Roxas hit a 3-pointer with 2:46 left. Sykes answered for Syracuse (9-1) with a three-point play and a layup. In between, Rachel Coffey hit a 3-pointer and the Orange lead was back to 10, 77-67, with little more than a minute to go.
Shakeya Leary led Syracuse with 24 points, Brianna Butler 13, and Coffey 11.
Syracuse led by 11 at halftime but hit a five-minute dry spell afterward. Feyonda Fitzgerald scored eight of her career-high 28 points in a Temple 16-4 run, including two 3-pointers, to come within 49-48. For the next five minutes the teams traded the lead four times.
Natasha Thames added 12 points and 13 rebounds, Erica Coville 12 points for Temple.
- No. 2 South Carolina women beat Hawaii 67-51
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24
- No. 16 Arizona State women run away from Hawaii, 75-49
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat East Carolina 78-75
- Purdue women edge No. 22 Louisville 62-60
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49
- No. 21 Oklahoma women defeat Boston College 76-61
- Cable helps No. 3 Notre Dame beat UCLA 92-84 in overtime
- No. 2 South Carolina beats Cal State Bakersfield 90-71