FREEPORT, Bahamas (AP)—Tori Waldner and Dara Taylor scored the first six points of the second half in a 90-second burst as no. 13 Penn State surged ahead of Oregon State en route to a 61-56 victory in the Junkanoo Jam in a high school gym on Friday.
High-scoring (92 ppg), 3-point-shooting Oregon State (4-1) led for much of the first half, forcing nine Penn State turnovers, holding the Nittany Lions to 21 percent shooting and leading 21-14 by 5:50 of the opening period.
The Lions (4-1), whose only loss has been to top-ranked UConn, overcame the cold start with a 10-2 run to close 27-26 by the break. Maggie Lucas, on her birthday, scored 17 to lead Penn State, including a 3-pointer to break open a 56-53 lead with 2:13 left. Waldner finished with 10.
Jamie Weisner scored 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Beavers, and Samantha Seiger scored 14.
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49
- No. 21 Oklahoma women defeat Boston College 76-61
- Cable helps No. 3 Notre Dame beat UCLA 92-84 in overtime
- No. 2 South Carolina beats Cal State Bakersfield 90-71
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24
- No. 16 Arizona State women run away from Hawaii, 75-49
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat East Carolina 78-75
- Purdue women edge No. 22 Louisville 62-60
- No. 23 Syracuse women pull away from Fordham 76-54