No. 12 UNC women top Coastal Carolina 106-52Thursday, Nov 21, 2013
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP)—Stephanie Mavunga scored 20 points, grabbed 13 rebounds and blocked five shots to lead the No. 12 North Carolina women to a 106-52 win over Coastal Carolina Thursday night.
Diamond DeShields scored 16 of her game-high 21 points in the first half and North Carolina (3-1) used an 18-4 run in the final 5:03 to take a 46-24 lead into halftime.
Mavunga, who came into the game shooting .583 from the floor, was 10 of 10 from the field while the freshman set career-highs for points, rebounds and blocked shots.
North Carolina’s dominated the game defensively, forcing 27 Coastal Carolina (3-1) turnovers, including 19 steals, and limited the Chanticleers to 22.2 percent (18 of 81) shooting. The Tar Heels blocked 11 shots.
Xylina McDaniel and Allisha Gray scored 14 points each while Jessica Washington and Danielle Butts had 11 apiece.
Angelica Henry paced Coastal Carolina with 15 points.
- No. 20 Michigan State women cruise past Cincinnati 103-63
- Vivians leads No. 8 Mississippi St past Norfolk State, 92-34
- Mitchell leads No. 11 Ohio State to 75-65 defeat of Liberty
- No. 3 Irish use balanced effort to rout Denver 94-52
- Chidom leads No. 15 Duke women to 86-48 win over Iowa State
- Bulgak helps No. 14 Florida State beat LIU 78-42
- Wiese and Weisner lead No. 7 Oregon State in rout of Hofstra
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Old Dominion 95-49
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland hold off South Dakota St 62-55
- Blair wins 700th game as No. 10 Texas A&M women beat Cal
- No. 22 Louisville women pull away to beat Marist 65-53
- No. 24 George Washington women edge No. 25 Iowa 81-77 in 2OT
- Defense helps No. 4 Lady Vols outlast Albany 63-55
- No. 13 Stanford women cruise past Missouri State 82-65
- Freshman Smith is Stanford's first international recruit
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat Eastern Washington 74-70