Penny got the Blue Demons (3-0) off to a fast start, scoring five of the team’s first seven points and a 7-2 early lead. She also scored DePaul’s final four points as they blanked the Redbirds for the last 2:12 of the game.
Brittany Hrynko had 16 points and dealt out eight assists for the Blue Demons, who got bench support from Brandi Harvey-Carr (14 points) and Jessica January (12 points).
Chloe Nelson had 18 points to lead Illinois State (0-2) and got 10 points each from Octavia Crump and Mackenzie Freeman. Crump and Brianna Puni each pulled down a dozen rebounds.
Freeman’s 3-pointer with 10 seconds in the half pulled the Redbirds to within two late in the first half.
- UCLA women spend time over Thanksgiving helping others
- No. 1 UConn women breeze past Chattanooga 79-31
- POLL ALERT: UConn unanimous No. 1 in AP women's basketball poll; Seton Hall, DePaul, UCLA in
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49
- UConn remains No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- No. 2 South Carolina women beat Hawaii 67-51
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24
- No. 16 Arizona State women run away from Hawaii, 75-49