NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—Aaryn Ellenberg’s jumper with 1:56 left in the game lifted No. 11 Oklahoma into a lead the Sooners could finally hold onto and turn away No. 25 Gonzaga 82-78 in a semifinal-round battle in the preseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament Thursday.
The Sooners face No. 5 Louisville Sunday in the tournament’s championship game.
Gonzaga nursed a slim lead throughout most of the game. Oklahoma took a brief lead at 59-58 on a 3-pointer by Ellenberg with 12:29 remaining, but Lindsay Sherbert responded with a 3-pointer for the Bulldogs.
Ellenberg, who played the full 40 minutes for the Sooners (3-0), finished with 21 points. Kaylon Williams came off the bench to add 14 points, including five clutch free throws down the stretch to help the Sooners pull away.
Haiden Palmer had 19 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead Gonzaga (2-1). Sherbert added 14 points off the bench.
- UCLA women spend time over Thanksgiving helping others
- No. 1 UConn women breeze past Chattanooga 79-31
- POLL ALERT: UConn unanimous No. 1 in AP women's basketball poll; Seton Hall, DePaul, UCLA in
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- UConn remains No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- No. 2 South Carolina women beat Hawaii 67-51
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24