Wichita State women beat Illinois State 69-65Sunday, Mar 17, 2013
ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP)—Alex Harden and Michaela Dapprich scored 19 points each to lead Wichita State to a 69-65 win over Illinois State in the championship game of the Missouri Valley Conference tournament on Sunday.
The top-seeded Shockers (24-9) won the tournament for the first time and will be making their first NCAA tournament appearance.
Chynna Turner added 12 points and Jessica Diamond chipped in with 11 for Wichita State, which has won five in a row.
Jamie Russell led third-seeded Illinois State (23-10) with a game-high 27 points. Janae Smith added 19 points and Brianna Puni had 12 points and 10 rebounds for the Redbirds.
Wichita State used a 10-2 run early in the second half to go in front for good at 52-49.
- Freshman Smith is Stanford's first international recruit
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat Eastern Washington 74-70
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Houston 82-78
- No. 15 Duke women defeat Idaho 74-68 in Cancun Challenge
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28