Miami women top Virginia Tech 45-39 in ACC tourneyThursday, Mar 7, 2013
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP)—Shawnice Wilson scored 17 points and Miami pulled away to beat Virginia Tech 45-39 on Thursday in the first round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.
Morgan Stroman added 13 rebounds for the fifth-seeded Hurricanes (21-9). They will play fourth-seeded Florida State (21-8) in Friday’s quarterfinals.
Uju Ugoka and Monet Tellier had 11 points apiece and Alyssa Fenyn added 10 for the 12th-seeded Hokies (10-20).
Ugoka’s jumper with 4:14 left pulled Virginia Tech to 35-31, but the Hokies missed six of their next seven shots.
Stefanie Yderstrom hit a 3-pointer three possessions later to put Miami up by seven, and the Hurricanes iced it by hitting 7 of 12 free throws in the final 90 seconds.
Miami had 20 turnovers and shot just 28.6 percent (14 of 49). The Hokies shot 26.9 percent (14 for 52), turned it over 17 times and had just eight points at halftime.
- No. 21 Oklahoma women beat Utah 70-55
- No. 5 Baylor uses balanced offense to rout Cincinnati 72-34
- No. 25 Iowa women defeat Wright State 83-77
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Houston 82-78
- No. 15 Duke women defeat Idaho 74-68 in Cancun Challenge
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61