No. 15 South Carolina women top Miss. St. 58-43Sunday, Feb 24, 2013
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP)—Aleighsa Welch recorded her eighth double-double of the season, scoring a career-high 20 points with 11 rebounds to power No. 15 South Carolina past Mississippi State 58-43 Sunday in a Southeast Conference game.
Khadijah Sessions and Elem Ibiam added 11 points apiece for South Carolina (22-5, 10-4), which tied a program record with its 10th conference victory.
The Gamecocks scored the first 12 points and led at halftime 36-20.
South Carolina scored 17 points off 24 Mississippi State turnovers, and held an 8-0 advantage in fast-break points, all in the first half.
The Bulldogs (12-15, 4-10) started the second half on a 9-2 run, making it 38-29 on Carnecia Williams’ jumper with 14:10 remaining. The Gamecocks responded with an 18-10 stretch, pushing the lead to 56-39 with 2 minutes to play.
Martha Alwal led Mississippi State with 13 points and six boards, but was the only Bulldog in double figures.
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- No. 9 Oregon State beats UC Riverside 86-65
- No. 21 California women use 3-pointers to top Cal Poly 82-57
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- UConn stays No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll; Iowa in at 25
- Bulgak scores career-high 26 as No. 6 Florida St. beats UAB
- Mitchell fuels late run, No. 2 South Carolina beats UCLA
- No. 5 Baylor beats DePaul to win WNIT; Davis named MVP