NEWARK, Del. (AP)—Elena Delle Donne scored 28 points, including a key free throw in the waning seconds, as No. 18 Delaware held off James Madison 61-60 Sunday to win its 19th straight and clinch a share of first place in the Colonial Athletic Association.
The Blue Hens (24-3, 15-0) trailed 29-25 at halftime, but Delle Donne’s three-point play put them ahead 44-41 with 12:30 left. Delaware led the rest of the way, though the Dukes threatened late.
Tarik Hislop’s jumper pulled James Madison (18-9, 12-3) within 55-53 with 2:11 left, and her 3-pointer with 25 seconds left made it 60-58 Delaware.
Delle Donne’s free throw with 15 seconds remaining made it 61-58, and Precious Hall’s layup for James Madison with a second left wasn’t enough.
Hislop led James Madison with 17 points on 7-of-27 shooting, and Kirby Burkholder added 16 points and 14 rebounds.
Delle Donne was 11-of-12 shooting foul shots.
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Old Dominion 95-49
- No. 21 Oklahoma women beat Utah 70-55
- No. 5 Baylor uses balanced offense to rout Cincinnati 72-34
- No. 25 Iowa women defeat Wright State 83-77
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat Eastern Washington 74-70
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Houston 82-78
- No. 15 Duke women defeat Idaho 74-68 in Cancun Challenge
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57