BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP)—Tierra Ruffin-Pratt scored 17 points as No. 16 North Carolina defeated Virginia Tech 72-50 Friday night and clinched a first-round bye in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.
The Tar Heels (24-4, 12-3) never trailed and led 40-24 at halftime after making 7 of 13 attempts from 3-point range.
Ruffin-Pratt stole the ball and scored right after halftime and Waltiea Rolle added a jumper for a 20-point lead just 93 seconds after the break.
The Hokies (8-18, 2-13), who played North Carolina tough on Jan. 6, losing 48-45, got no closer than 14 points the rest of the way. They have lost 13 of their last 14.
Xylina McDaniel added 13 points for North Carolina and Krista Gross just missed a double-double with 11 points and nine boards. Rolle had nine points, seven rebounds, five assists and three blocks.
Monet Tellier led Virginia Tech with 15 points and eight assists.
- Disterhoft leads No. 25 Iowa women to 64-50 win over Houston
- Wilson lifts No. 2 South Carolina past No. 16 Arizona State
- No. 8 Mississippi St cruises past Norfolk State, 92-34
- No. 20 Michigan State women cruise past Cincinnati 103-63
- Mitchell leads No. 11 Ohio State to 75-65 defeat of Liberty
- No. 3 Irish use balanced effort to rout Denver 94-52
- Chidom leads No. 15 Duke women to 86-48 win over Iowa State
- Bulgak helps No. 14 Florida State beat LIU 78-42
- No. 23 Syracuse women hold off Washington, 66-62
- Lyon leads No. 19 Northwestern women past Creighton, 75-52
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland hold off South Dakota St 62-55
- Blair wins 700th game as No. 10 Texas A&M women beat Cal
- No. 22 Louisville women pull away to beat Marist 65-53
- No. 24 George Washington women edge No. 25 Iowa 81-77 in 2OT
- Defense helps No. 4 Lady Vols outlast Albany 63-55
- No. 13 Stanford women cruise past Missouri State 82-65