Simmons, No. 11 Tennessee women top Auburn 83-61By STEVE MEGARGEE, AP Sports Writer Thursday, Feb 21, 2013
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Meighan Simmons scored 24 points and Cierra Burdick had a double-double Thursday night as No. 11 Tennessee trounced Auburn 83-61 to remain in sole possession of first place in the Southeastern Conference.
Simmons had 11 points in the first 8 minutes and made three 3-pointers in a 67-second span early in the game. Burdick had 15 points and a career-high 13 rebounds for the Lady Volunteers (21-5, 12-1 Southeastern Conference). Taber Spani added 16 points and Bashaara Graves had 14 points.
Tyrese Tanner scored 20 points, Blanche Alverson added 15 points and Chadarryl Clay had 10 points for Auburn (14-12, 3-10), which lost for the ninth time in its last 10 games.
Tennessee went 6 of 7 from 3-point range in the first 7 minutes of the game and eventually owned a 33-7 lead. Auburn never threatened the rest of the way.
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- UConn stays No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll; Iowa in at 25