Andrea Hoover scored 16 points and Ally Mallot had 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Flyers (19-1, 7-0), whose first six conference opponents had averaged just 46.5 points per game.
The Spiders (12-11, 2-5) battled evenly for most of the first half and led 17-16 after Becka Wann’s layup 12:28 before halftime.
Applewhite responded with a 3-pointer, however, to put Dayton ahead to stay.
The Flyers led 43-35 at halftime and never trailed in the second half, but their lead never got beyond 13 points. Richmond helped itself by committing just 14 turnovers, compared to 23.3 per game for Dayton’s last six opponents.
Wann and Kristina King led the Spiders with 15 points each and Rachael Bilney had 14.
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- UConn stays No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll; Iowa in at 25
- Bulgak scores career-high 26 as No. 6 Florida St. beats UAB
- Mitchell fuels late run, No. 2 South Carolina beats UCLA
- No. 5 Baylor beats DePaul to win WNIT; Davis named MVP
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- No. 9 Oregon State beats UC Riverside 86-65
- No. 21 California women use 3-pointers to top Cal Poly 82-57
- Alston helps Ohio State women beat Wagner 106-47