No. 11 UNC women defeat No. 20 Florida St. 72-62Thursday, Jan 31, 2013
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP)—Xylina McDaniel scored 19 points and Waltiea Rolle added 18 and 10 rebounds as No. 11 North Carolina held off No. 20 Florida State 72-62 Thursday night, giving coach Sylvia Hatchell her 899th win.
The Tar Heels (20-2, 8-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) reached 20 wins before the end of January for the first time since 2006-07.
North Carolina led by 19 in the first half, thanks to 14 points by Rolle. But the Seminoles (17-4, 7-3) held the Tar Heels scoreless the final 4:01 leading into intermission, then climbed back to take their first lead of the game at 53-52 with 9:01 remaining.
North Carolina answered with a 10-2 run. After a 3-pointer by Florida State’s Alex Deluzio, McDaniel made back-to-back jumpers and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt sank two free throws with 2:15 remaining.
Leonor Rodriguez scored 18 points and Deluzio 16 for the Seminoles, who saw their five-game winning streak end.
- UCLA women spend time over Thanksgiving helping others
- No. 1 UConn women breeze past Chattanooga 79-31
- POLL ALERT: UConn unanimous No. 1 in AP women's basketball poll; Seton Hall, DePaul, UCLA in
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49
- UConn remains No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- No. 2 South Carolina women beat Hawaii 67-51
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24
- No. 16 Arizona State women run away from Hawaii, 75-49