Butts, No. 11 North Carolina women top Miami 64-62Sunday, Jan 27, 2013
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP)—Danielle Butts beat the buzzer with a game-winning jump shot to help No. 11 North Carolina hand Miami a rare home loss 64-62 Sunday.
With UNC (19-2, 7-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) trailing 62-60, the Tar Heels’ Tierra Ruffin-Pratt stole the ball from Krystal Saunders and hit two free throws after being fouled by Stefanie Yderstrom.
When Suriya Mcguire missed a layup for Miami (14-6, 5-4) with 5 seconds remaining, UNC’s Brittany Rountree gathered the rebound and moved the ball up the court to Butts, who hit the winning jumper.
The loss snapped an 11-game home winning streak for Miami and was just its second loss in its past 54 home games.
The lead changed hands 10 times in the second half, including seven times during a 4-minute stretch in the middle of the frame.
Ruffin-Pratt paced the Tar Heels with 19 points.
Miami’s Morgan Stroman scored a career-high 28 points.
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Old Dominion 95-49
- No. 21 Oklahoma women beat Utah 70-55
- No. 5 Baylor uses balanced offense to rout Cincinnati 72-34
- No. 25 Iowa women defeat Wright State 83-77
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat Eastern Washington 74-70
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Houston 82-78
- No. 15 Duke women defeat Idaho 74-68 in Cancun Challenge
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53