Trailing 52-49, Slaughter made two free throws with 5:22 left. Neither team scored until Sara Hammond’s two foul shots put the Cardinals (17-4, 5-2 Big East) on top with 3:05 to go.
Hammond hit two more free throws and Bria Smith’s layup gave Louisville a five-point cushion with 1:45 remaining.
Two free throws by the Red Storm’s Shenneika Smith made it 57-54 with 42 seconds showing. She then blocked a Shoni Schmimmel jumper, but missed a 3-pointer with 9 seconds left. After an Aliyyah Handford steal, Nadirah McKenith missed a 3-point try at the buzzer.
The Cardinals hit 21 of 25 free throws compared to 7 of 15 for St. John’s.
Shenneika Smith scored 23 as the Red Storm (9-9, 3-3) dropped their third straight.
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Old Dominion 95-49
- No. 21 Oklahoma women beat Utah 70-55
- No. 5 Baylor uses balanced offense to rout Cincinnati 72-34
- No. 25 Iowa women defeat Wright State 83-77
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat Eastern Washington 74-70
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Houston 82-78
- No. 15 Duke women defeat Idaho 74-68 in Cancun Challenge
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53