No. 24 Iowa State holds off West Virginia 53-49Saturday, Jan 26, 2013
Nikki Moody and Chelsea Poppens added 10 apiece for the Cyclones, who snapped a two-game losing streak.
Iowa State (14-4, 5-3 Big 12), which trailed 37-25 35 seconds into the second half, shot just 39 percent (16 of 41) from the field, but nine of those shots came from 3-point range. The Cyclones rallied to tie the game 43-all with 6:24 left to play on Christofferson’s trey.
Ayana Dunning scored West Virginia’s next six points to make it 51-49 with a little over 2 minutes remaining, but the Mountaineers (11-8, 3-5) missed their next four shots and two free throws as Iowa State pulled away.
Dunning led West Virginia with 17 points, but the Mountaineers, who shot 41 percent (19 of 46) made just 5 of 10 free throws.
- No. 2 South Carolina women beat Hawaii 67-51
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24
- No. 16 Arizona State women run away from Hawaii, 75-49
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat East Carolina 78-75
- Purdue women edge No. 22 Louisville 62-60
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49
- No. 21 Oklahoma women defeat Boston College 76-61
- Cable helps No. 3 Notre Dame beat UCLA 92-84 in overtime
- No. 2 South Carolina beats Cal State Bakersfield 90-71